Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day #2


Well, day 2 arrived. It started out with Bob getting up around 6:00 a.m. (much earlier than I would have liked!) Finally decided I wasn't getting any more sleep and got up to get the day started. Decided to hit the contential breakfast offered at the hotel which left much to be desired. Not a lot to choose from, decided to try the waffles, well the batter was way to runny, griddle not hot enough, so when I pored the batter in, closed the lid and rotated the griddle, about 1/4 of the batter ran out. When the timer went off, I opened the lid to find a bearly cooked waffle, finally got it out of the griddle and discovered a doughy center. Yuck! So I had a small glass of orange juice to start the day. I knew we would be getting some lunch about 2 1/2 hours down the road so I figured I could last. Bob ate some not very good mini muffins and some juice. We decided to get on the road, the weather was a little better, just a breeze blowing, some blue skies. Left The Dalles and headed down the gorge towards our destination, Estacade, where we were going to stop and visit with my friend, John Garcia, (old boyfriend from high school, now 34 years later a good friend.)

GPS guided us on our way and we soon found John's house. He lives on 1/3 acre, has 2 houses, the one he lives in is a small cottage and his girls live in the others. Has a river across the street they they fish out of. We met his daughter, Carmen, who is 10. His other daughter, Johnnean, was out with friends.

We spent a couple of hours visiting, catching up on life, reminising old time back in Tooele. John took us to a little bakery/diner and we had some lunch. Food was good. Visited some more over lunch and finally decided we needed to get back on the road. So after some hugs goodby and a promise from John that he would make it down to see us we were back on the road.

Now, let me tell you of our adventure trying to get back on the road. Let me begin by saying that just because you have a GPS doesn't mean you always get the right directions. GPS told us we had a right turn coming up but never bonged to let us know when it was, so we just go on down the road, a little 2 lane road with loads of trees. And lots of trees block the GPS access to the satellites so the GPS wouldn't work to get us back on track. So after going about 5 miles, we decided to turn around and head back the way we had come, found a bridge we thought was the way we should go, took it, got the GPS back working and were soon back on our way.

Finally made it to Gleneden a little after 4, got checked in, packed everything up to the condo and settled in. We are in a two bedroom, 2 bath condo with a nice big living room, dining room and kitchen. Not that we need two bedrooms, but I guess that is all that was available.

We decided we were getting hungry so we inquired at the front desk as to where to go to get something. They recommended a place up the road so we went off in search of it. Finally found the place, found how to get into the parking lot, were about ready to go in when we stopped to look over the menu posted outside, what a shock!! $53 for a steak dinner!! Needless to day, we turned right back around and headed back south in search of something more in our price range. Found a diner near the resort and decided to try it out. Again, another adventure. They had salmon cakes so I decided to try them minus the sauce, however when I told the waitress what I wanted I said crab cakes instead of salmon and I didn't catch what I had said until a few minutes later, Bob said he thought I did order salmon so I wasn't too worried. Dinner finally came, (took almost an hour) and the waitress set the plate down and said here are your crab cakes! Yup, I had indeed ordered the wrong thing. However, I decided I was too hungry to wait for anything else so I picked up my fork and dug in. Not too bad. First time I have had crab and I was surprised, it was pretty good. Bob had the Beef and Broccoli stir fry. I guess it was a relaxing dinner, we were there almost 2 hours, but at least we were feed. Headed back to the condo for some relaxation, a little t.v., some ice cream and finally the day ended.
One funny side note to this day, as we were leaving for one of our little jaunts, as we were pulling out Bob noticed the car parked next to us, Utah plates with a Tremonton Fire bumper sticker. Who woud have thought, come over 850 miles and end up staying at the same resort as someone from close to home.
So wraps up day two of the vacation.

No comments: