Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 7 - Friday





Well, we are about to start our last day here in Gleneden Beach. Woke up early, day looked to be a pretty good one, blue skies, not too cold, but windy. We decided to head down to Depot Bay and see if we could get a whale watching tour only to find out they don't start until 12:30. So we headed back to Gleneden Beach for a day on the beach. Bob is really into the agate hunting. I just spread out a beach towel and took the camera to try and get a few shots of Bob agate hunting. Then I just laid back in the sand, closed my eyes and just enjoyed the sounds of the waves. Finally decided I was getting a bit cold, Bob was still down at the waters edge so I got the key to the condo and headed back to get my jacket and book. They have a bench just above the beach level so I went back down and just sat and read my book for awhile. Bob was still agate hunting and I was getting cold so I headed back to the condo. Bob came back up after awhile, cold, wet but happy, he had found some pretty good agates. After he got cleaned up, dry and warmed, we fixed some lunch then headed up to Lincoln City. The gentlemen that did the glass blowing sell their items in a shop across from their glass blowing shop. I got a glass float and Bob got a glass starfish. We then went up to the outlet mall and did a little window shopping.
Decided since it was out last day we would go to Depot Bay to the Tidal Raves which is a pretty fancy restaurant that over looks the ocean. We both had the salmon. It was pretty good, not as good as the salmon we had a couple of days ago, but good.
Then it was back to condo. I decided I couldn't come all this way and not get in the ocean. So I changed clothes and we headed back to the beach. Wind was really blowing, the sand blowing was like getting sand blasted. We had taken a plastic container to put any agates we found in, weighed it down with a rock, I took off my shoes and headed down to the water. Bob is pretty good a getting right in. It took me a bit, water was cold but not unbearable. It was the wind that hit the wet legs and standing on the cold, wet sand that got my feet to freezing. After a few minutes I went up and sat on the dunes and buried my feet in the warm sand. After they got warmed up, I went back down to the water for a little bit, decided it was just too cold for me and went back up the dune. I bent down to take the rock off the container so I could put the few agates I had found and the wind caught the container and off it went, first going along the beach, then up and over the dune. I just kept blowing ahead of me as I went chasing after it. Finally about 1/2 mile down the beach it caught in a tree branch and I finally caught it. Well, that was enough exercise for me! I made my way back down the beach to where Bob was, climbed up the dune to sit down and promptly slid 1/2 way back down. Was getting pelted with the sand that was blowing but I was warmer although tired. Bob was finally getting too cold so we headed back to the condo. Bob sorted through his find, we finished off the Tillamook Chocolate peanutbutter ice cream, and just relaxed for the rest of the night.
Tomorrow we start heading back home. We are going to stop by and visit John again, then head to Pendleton for the night, then will do the last of the trip home on Sunday.

1 comment:

Bill and Julie Burns said...

it makes me feel a little better knowing that we're not the only ones in the country getting blown away every day!!! We're so sick of the wind!